Hello, humans. Your favorite loud-mouth tomboy is back. I have returned to this wonderful little world of sports blogging.
The last date I blogged was February 2015, and a lot has happened*. Since then, it’s been a fruitful 16 months for a Bay Area sports fan, such as myself.
*Oh, I also moved to London to turn my sorry excuse for a British accent into a real one. And to get my Master’s degree. But instead of studying for exams and working on my dissertation and being a good student, I decided to update this blog for you all because who hasn’t missed all the sports musings from this smart-ass???
Some thoughts about the year (and a half) so far:
- The Golden State Warriors, my Golden State Warriors, the Warriors I blogged about here, here, and here, won their first championship in 40 years, and now, I truly understand what euphoria feels like.
- The Golden State Warriors, my Golden State Warriors, the Warriors I spent years trying to understand how and why I was such a fan of a shitty team, won 73 games this year breaking the long-standing, seemingly unbreakable ’95-’96 Chicago Bulls record. Warrior games start at 3:30AM here in London, and you best believe I stayed up to watch game 73.
- The Golden State Warriors, my Golden State Warriors, the Warriors who once had Adonal Foyle and Erick Dampier on the same team, have the back-to-back league MVP Wardell Stephen Curry changing the league by making 3-point shots more exciting than slam dunks.
- The San Jose Sharks, my San Jose Sharks, the Sharks who I blogged about here, here, and here, after missing the playoffs last year, are currently in the WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS to my complete and utter disbelief (team #nofaith).
- The San Jose Sharks, my San Jose Sharks, the Sharks who I would drive an hour to 90-minutes for, in horrendous 101-South traffic to San Jose (without a ticket to the game) just so I could watch it in San Jose with fellow fans, finally rid some demons by eliminating the scum of the league in the LA Kings.
- Side note: How sweet it is all of the LA teams are out and the Bay’s teams are still kickin’. The tides have finally turned, and the Norcal/Socal rivalry is a real as ever.
- The San Jose Sharks, my San Jose Sharks, the Sharks who still have Patrick Marleau and Joe Thornton, one of which who’s last name isn’t Thornton I wanted traded, also still have Norris nominee Brent Burns, and how can you not love this guy.
I can also talk about how Derek Carr is my favorite Bay Area athlete outside of Steph, and how Karl Joseph is going to be fun to watch and how the Raiders and Niners have completely switched places (Niner fans click here)…oh and how the A’s still make me sad (outside of the Sonny days, which will probably make me even more sad by end of July), but let’s talk about the real issue at hand here:
WHY AM I IN LONDON WHEN IT’S THE BEST SPORTS YEAR EVER FOR ALL MY TEAMS???
Waking up at 3AM to watch games sucks. And now that the Western Conference Finals for both the NBA and NHL fall on alternating days, looks like I’ll be going to sleep at 6AM this week. Fun.
Facetime me, guys, cause I’ll be awake. Let’s watch these games in joy (and also agony) together.
(Also, can you help me with Statistics while you’re at it?)