I was at the biggest Oakland Raider win of the last decade this past Sunday, and it’s taking me longer than I thought to get all the feels out because I was just a huge ball of emotion at The Coliseum. I want to capture the essence of that day perfectly, so I’m taking my time. That post should be up later this week, so please come back to check it out. It’s gonna be a doozy.
I feel like it’s Christmas already. There are so many awesome stories I want to talk about, but I only have so much time, and only so much to say.*
*I always have a LOT to say. Whether or not I have time to write is a different story. I guess that’s what Twitter is good for. Quick, easy takes from me. Shameless plug: check out my Twitter, yo!
But listen people, the sports world is rollin’. So because of everything going on in zee sports right now, I’ve decided to compile all my thoughts in what has become a normal feature on SEWTPE. Welcome back, Assorted Weekend Thoughts.
Just in case this is your first time here, these posts are time for me to just ramble about everything and anything sports-related. It may make sense, it may not. It mostly doesn’t. They may not be the most well-thought out posts either, but you get an idea of what is currently going on in the little, crazy brain of Jenna Q. Think of it as visual word vomit (Too explicit? Too bad. My blog, my rules.)
I have so many happy feelings about Johnny Football!
- ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT, ALRRIIIGGGHHTT!!! A tweet popped up on my feed a couple of days ago from RotoWorld that said, “99% chance Manziel starts Week 15.” I retweeted it, naturally, but with a bit of sarcastic apprehension. I didn’t actually believe Johnny would get the start, but because I’m Johnny Football’s biggest fan west of the Mississippi, I felt the obligation to spread the word about his potential debut. (Okay, maybe not west of the Mississippi because lord knows he has some freak fanatics down in Texas that I can’t compete with. How about we say his biggest fan in California? Probably more apropos. Not just apropos but most likely true).
- I’ve been a Manziel fan for a while, longer than most people probably think. A little over 2 years ago, I was friends with someone who was a huge Texas A&M fan. One day, he couldn’t stop talking to me about this kid named Johnny Manziel, of whom fans affectionately called Johnny Football. He could barely contain himself on this particular day because this was the day Johnny shocked the world in his upset of the number 1 ranked Alabama Crimson Tide. He made me watch YouTube highlights of it, and I thought I couldn’t have cared less. But when I saw this, everything in my life changed. I did not know I could feel the way I did, and a new era in my life began – the era when Jenna became a Johnny Football fan. I don’t even watch college football until the bowl games, but in 2012 through 2013, every Texas A&M game was must watch TV for me.
- My heart was pining for him in the NFL draft this year because the Raiders sat comfortably at 5. By the time it was their turn to draft, he was available, and I felt like a fat kid at McDonald’s anxiously waiting for their happy meal to see if Mark Davis and Reggie McKenzie would pull the trigger on my most favorite college player ever. They didn’t and drafted Buffalo’s stud linebacker Khalil Mack, instead. As much as I wanted Johnny, I knew it was the right thing to do. With a depleted roster like the Raiders had (have), they had to go for best available player. So I understood the move, despite what my itty bitty heart desired.
- The next couple of picks I sat in pure agony because there was a chance he was going to end up with the Dallas Cowboys, who I hate with a(n irrational?)* passion. I WANT to cheer for Johnny in the NFL, and I wouldn’t have been able to do that if he was a Cowboy. Fortunately, Grandpa Jerry made a sound football decision, passed him up, and left him nice and pretty for the Cleveland Browns. PERFECT. What a perfect spot. Just – perfect. Because I can cheer for the Browns without feeling like a dirty whore.
- *To be fair, most of my sports emotions are completely irrational. So there’s that. But seriously, I hate the Cowboys. No, seriously.
- And then sure enough, on Tuesday morning, a report surfaced that confirmed Johnny will indeed make his debut this weekend versus the Bengals. My head just exploded like a tween at a One Direction concert. I cannot wait for this.
I have so many unknown feelings about the Sharks…
- I was in the middle of writing a long post about the Sharks’ woes, and how so many things just aren’t the same. I feel like I’ve been spoiled by so many good years from Team Teal, but the elusive Stanley Cup victory has kept it from ever being wholly satisfying. The post will go up soon, but man, there are so many feels about this team that I can’t even begin to describe.
- However, their annual Holiday video is always such a treat, and this one was no exception. Even though there’s one slight caveat (and that might be to my own fault), I didn’t know who any of the players were in the video, save for Demers and Niemi. It was so hard to recognize everyone else. May just be a sign of newer times for the Sharkies…or me just not paying attention as much anymore because I’m just so damn enamored with the Warriors right now.
I have so many “F*CK YEAH!” feelings about the Warriors…
- Rather than writing out all of my thoughts about the Warriors, how about some brief soundbytes from me over the past couple of weeks?
- “We’re soooo good. Oh my god.”
- “I really think Memphis is overrated. We can totally beat them. Who’s going to guard Steph and Klay? Tony Allen can’t defend them both.”
- “Ok, but who’s going to guard Randolph/Gasol?”
- “I think I just contradicted myself there.”
- “We can beat Memphis.”
- “Anthony Davis, I take back everything I said about you 2 years ago.”
- “Except for that brow. That brow is still gnarly as f*ck.”
- “Draymond Green/Mo Speights are going to regress to their means eventually — right?”
- “TREYMOND GREEN!”
- “Mo’ Buckets!”
- “Since they can’t sing about loving the Coco anymore, I nominate Big Sean’s ‘IDFWU*.’ I feel like Draymond would slay that song.” (Runner-Up: J. Cole’s “G.O.M.D.” with Klay as the lead.)
- “Being a loyal fan through really crappy years really does pay off. It has for the Warriors, so far. I hope the rest of my teams go through the same cycle.”
- “We are so good.”
But Johnny Manziel, though. This weekend is going to be awesome.
Man, I love sports. Sports are fun.